Albert Laing came to Tuross Head on long service leave from the City
of Sydney Fire brigade. It was during the war years and he camped
for three months at Lavender Point fishing and prawning. His son Jim
came down for a weeks holiday during this time. Over the following
years the Laings enjoyed holidays in Tuross and one year they saw
that Tiedemann's boatshed was being auctioned.
those days only one shed was built on the site (the original shed
is still there - being the southern "half" of the boastshed.
The property failed to reach its reserve price however the Laings
(Snr and Jnr) were the highest bidders on the day. As they drove through
Moruya back to Sydney they called into Kings Real Estate and left
a further £50. They were contacted a week later to be informed
their offer had been accepted.
the time Alan Baulch (Eric's father) was leasing the boatshed from
Tiedemann for £10 per year and the Laings allowed him to continue
using it for several years more. Baulch was mainly prawning Coila
Lake and taking out tons of prawns. One night Laing Snr went prawning
with Baulch. There was the sound of an approaching storm with rumbling
that soon revealed itself as millions of prawns running. The volume
of prawns being caught in Coila in the 1950's was staggering.
Laing at this time was still working with an engineering company in
Mascot and didn't manage to permanently come to Tuross until 1960.
year the Coila Lake entrance opened and the prawns escaped to move
enmass down the coast and come back into Tuross Lake.
history of the boatsheds can be read here