Below is an EXTRACT FROM A REPORT TITLED
THE HAWDON FAMILY
OCCUPATION, THEN OWNERSHIP OF KYLA PARK
TUROSS HEAD, NEW SOUTH WALES, 1832 to 1973
Member, Moruya & District Historical Society
Resident, Kyla Park, Tuross Head, New South Wales
In the late 1970's the developers of Kyla Park dedicated the
Kyla Park "Grazing Lands" to the community of Tuross
as "an area of unique characteristics for the visual benefit
of members of the general public". The intention was to
provide a continuance of the historic Kyla Park Dairy Farm in
appearance and to provide a substantial open space buffer of
land between the town of Tuross Head and the Princes Highway.
However in mid 2000, the Eurobodalla Shire Council called a
public meeting of residents. The residents were told that changes
to Council's Local Environment Plan and NSW State Government
laws meant that the Council now owned these lands - not the
The meeting was
told the Council would like to subdivide and sell the lands
and the residents should agree to change the classification
of the lots from Community to Operational and the zoning from
Rural 1c to Rural 1a.
When the community became aware of the type of industrial, commercial,
residential etc development allowable for these beautiful lands
under the proposed Rural 1a zoning they were adamant - "It's
our land, leave it alone!"
Recognising the heritage value of these lands, Helen Townend
of Kyla Park compiled a report on the Hawdon family. The report
had to show the continuation of occupation of the lands by the
Hawdons for about 140+ years and the contribution of the Hawdon
family to the development of this country.
The report was complemented by the Council's Consultant Heritage
Architect's assessment which stated:
Kyla Park community has a close `cultural' relationship to the
pastoral lands and have a strongly protective attitude to the
conservation of these lands."
"The site has a spirit of place which has been
retained relatively intact and free from intrusive development."
In February 2003,
the Eurobodalla Shire Councillors voted unanimously for the
lands to be included in the ESC's Rural Local Environment Plan
as heritage lands and for the Kyla Park lands to be listed on
the Council's Heritage Register.
All five lots were categorised as "An Area of Cultural
Significance" owing to the historical use of the land for
grazing by the Hawdon family. Council adopted the Kyla Park
Plan of Management, Areas of Cultural Significance on 9 December
2003 (see links to these documents below).
The two large lots continue to be used as grazing lands, as
they had been for the past 160+ years, while the three smaller
lots are for horse agistment/general community use.
The amendment to the ESC's Rural Local Environment Plan was
gazetted in November 2004. A Grazing Lease for the grazing lands
was granted to a local grazier on 1 April 2007 and is valid
to 31 March 2028.
And so these beautiful lands have been protected.
The category of "Cultural Significance" is defined
as "aesthetic, historic, scientific, social or spiritual
value for past, present and future generations".
Source: Deed of Agreement between Camenae Corporation Limited
and The Council of the Shire of Eurobodalla, dated 22 November
Foreshore Reserve 36 ha
Grazing Lot 192 ha
Strata Title Residential Precincts 50 ha
Recreation 11 ha
Total 288 ha.
1978, Council approved the development of Kyla Park by Camenae
Plan - Kyla Park, 20 November 1978
The developer and Council recorded their general agreement and
mutual intention that:
Foreshore Reserve (36 ha) and Grazing Lot (192 ha)
The original Kyla Park farm was owned to the high water mark
of both Coila and Tuross Lakes. Camenae dedicated these "Foreshore
"The whole of the Grazing/Foreshore Reserve Lot should
be maintained as an area of unique characteristics for the visual
benefit of members of the general public."
Strata Title Residential Precincts (50 ha)
Six lots (Clusters) to be subdivided into 69 Residential Strata
"The Residential Strata Lots shall be developed and used
as individual homes of good quality which harmonize with the
area surrounding them." The individual owners would be
responsible for the construction and maintenance of access and
internal roads. The Council, under no circumstances would supply
water to the Residential Strata Lots.
Recreation area (11 ha)
Known as the "Hall Lot" would be transferred to Council
for public use as a community hall (Kyla Park Youth & Sports
Club) and for recreational facilities for sporting activities.
"The Hall Lot should be maintained for use by members of
the general community including the occupiers of the Residential
Strata Lots towards satisfying the present lack of amenities
Foreshore Reserve & Grazing area:
"This open space area comprises a Grazing area and a Foreshore
Reserve area. It is intended that the Grazing area should be
used for grazing purposes only and should not be available for
use by members of the general public or for use by the Cluster
"It is intended that the Grazing area be made available
pursuant to an appropriate agreement for the grazing of livestock
on such terms as are commercially negotiated.
"It is intended that the Foreshore Reserve area should
be freely available for use by members of the general public
and Cluster owners."
NOTE: Copies of the complete Kyla Park report (including
maps) are available from the Moruya & District Historical
Society in Campbell St, Moruya for $10 (phone 4474 3224).
also Jocelyn Righton Hawdon article - Bay Post Oct 2013
In 1838/9 John Hawdon owned a small sailing cargo vessel named
“Alligator” which he used for transporting goods
up the coast. She had been built in 1835 in Hobart by William
Williamson, whose ship building yard was to the East of Her
Majesty’s Ordinance Stores near Battery Point.
was a carvel planked 2 masted schooner of 20 tons net, 33.4
feet in length, with a breadth of 12.4 feet and depth of 6.3
1837 she was purchased by Alexander Imlay who was at the time
looking after the Imlay brothers Tasmanian properties. John
Hawdon then purchased the boat from Alexander.
Hawdon did not keep the vessel for long in 1839 Jane Thomson
of Broulee is recorded as the owner.
Source Wendy Simes MDHS