the cessation of the NSW Neighbourhood Watch Scheme the TurossWatch
brochure is a community based crime prevention leaflet which
aims to improve the quality of life within the village by minimising
preventable crime and promoting closer community ties.
Safety and security relies on the community and the Police working
together in a partnership to achieve these aims.
This brochure has information and tools to help you to begin
or enhance your crime prevention tactics in your own home and
Tuross Watch Group was set up to assist residents in providing
advice and support in matters of community vigilence, safety
• Minimise the incidence of preventable crime.
• Deter criminal activity by increasing the probability
• Reduce the fear of crime.
• Increase the reporting of crime and suspicious behaviour.
• Improve the degree of personal and household security
• Operation Identification: The systematic marking of
valuable household items with their driver's licence number
preceded by the letter "N" for NSW. Items which are
marked and can be identified become a much less inviting target
for thieves. Smaller items such as jewellery or items which
cannot be marked should be photographed alongside a ruler or
coin to indicate the size.
• Keeping residents informed: Providing information of
the incidence of crime in the village on a regular basis through
internet media and newsletters and advising how to effectively
identify suspicious people and activity and report same.
• Increasing residents' awareness and knowledge: Informing
residents of practical personal and household security measures
enables them to best secure their homes and increase their personal
• Sign posting areas: Displaying TurossWatch signs and
material operates as a visible deterrent to criminal activity
by identifying a particular area as having active TurossWatch