TUROSS HEAD PROGRESS ASSOCIATION INC
Minutes of Meeting held 3rd September, 2015
at Kyla Hall, Kyla Sports Precinct, Tuross Head
1. The Meeting commenced at 2.05 pm with Gary Cooper in the Chair.
21 members signed the Attendance Register and there were 10 apologies.
Minutes of the Previous Meeting, 6th August, 2015.
It was moved by Stafford Dixon and seconded by Gywn Singleton
that the Minutes be accepted. CARRIED
2. Business Arising: Dealt with under separate reports later
in the meeting.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer, Joan Buchan, read out
the following financial statement which forms part of the minutes:-
THPA General Account - Balance, 6-8-15 $5159.21
Plus Receipts: THPA Subs 85.00
THPA General Account as at 3-9-15 $5244.21
THPA Cycle/Walk Working Account 3-9-15 $6088.10
THPA Fixed Term Deposit 3-9-15 20000.00
Total Cycle/Walk Funds as at 3-9-15 $26088.10
======= It was moved by Joan Buchan and seconded by Pam Pink that
Treasurer’s Report be accepted. CARRIED
4. Correspondence Outwards:
? Letter to Eurobodalla Shire Council with the text/photos of
7 heritage signs compiled by Lei Parker, proposing that signs
be erected at various locations around Tuross Head.
? No response to our letter requesting a map of Tuross to be put
in the bus shelter at the shops.
5. Correspondence Inwards: Lei Parker reported that the response
from Eurobodalla Shire Council in regard to above proposed signs
had been sent to him instead of THPA and it rejected the proposal.
Gary reported that he has since had a meeting with Steve Halicki,
Council Heritage officer, and his new manager, Jeff Morgan. Apparently
Council have rejected the proposed signs in their present form
and need to consult with both the Moruya & District Historical
Society and the Heritage consultant, Pip Giovanelli, regarding
revision of the text and checking for historical accuracy.
Gary had also contacted local historian, Helen Townend, and Magella
Blinksell who is scripting the Progress Hall documentary. Helen
had declined to be involved but recommended Wendy Simes, who was
President of the Moruya & District Historical Society at that
time. He arranged for both Magella and Wendy to receive a copy
of Lei’s proposal, especially the text of the 7 signs. He
then met with them and after much discussion it was agreed that
the original concept could be retained whilst revising the text
so that only 5 signs would be required.
Steve Halicki also arranged for Gary to meet with him and Pip
Giovanelli last Friday. By the end of the meeting they were agreeable
with the above approach and said they were looking forward to
receiving a set of drafts. The five signs will cover the following
• Tuross Head Progress (This is about the development of
Tuross since 1900’s);
• McWilliam: and
• Maritime History of Tuross Head
The proposed project to have a bust of Hector McWilliam on display
somewhere in Tuross has not been forgotten and will be looked
at again next year.
6. Proposal for a Community Bank: Mylene Boulting and Rob Richard
Managr of a local Bendigo Bank made a presentation to the meeting
supporting the establishment of a community bank, such as the
Bendigo Bank, in Moruya. They consider that this is necessary
due to the closure of the St. George Bank branch in Moruya.
Bendigo Bank offer a 5 x 3 year franchise. There are already
300 franchises operating in Australia which provide 80% profit
back to the community. $1million worth of shares is required in
Opening Funds which are called for from the community in the form
of pledges and then a full prospectus is prepared so that the
share value can be called up. It takes about 18 months before
the branch can be formed.
We will be given an update on this matter after Mylene &
Rob have carried out presentations throughout the district and
gauged community support.
7. Annual General Meeting: Gary announced that our AGM will be
held at 2 pm on Thursday, 1st October, 2015 before our usual monthly
meeting. Office bearers required for 2015/16 are President, 2
Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer & Public Officer. Members
were reminded that renewal of membership is due and should be
paid before voting at the AGM.
8. Donation of two paintings of early Tuross: The Kupa family
whose forebears once lived in Tuross in Coral Crescent have donated
two paintings to the Progress Association. With the approval of
the Kyla Hall Management Committee the paintings have now been
hung in the Meeting Room. Gary will send a letter of thanks to
Myles and Ann Kupa.
9. Proposed Works Programme: No further information has been
received about these projects at this date:
? Nelson Pde Boardwalk/Viewing Platform)
? One Tree Point Viewing Platform ) funded by sale of Progress
? One Tree Point Picnic Shelter ) Hall land
? Main Beach access ramp upgraded - funded under Special Rate
? Kyla Hall direction sign has been approved but will take 6 or
7 weeks before being installed.
It was moved by Maureen Baker and seconded by Stafford Dixon
that THPA should write to Council requesting written consent to
display to the public (via THPA notice board, etc.) an accounting
of the price paid for the 2 lots of the Progress Hall land, Council’s
expenses, and final amount available of which $200,000 has been
directed to offset part of the cost of upgrading the Kyla Hall,
with the remainder towards the cost of the above first three items
and the Bridges Ave. cycle/walk. CARRIED
10. Tuross Estuary Channel Maintenance: Work proposed near the
Lavender Pt. boat ramp will commence on 7th September.
11. Membership Report: The flyers delivered to residents appears
to have attracted more interest in our activities but to continue
to maintain our association a willingness to nominate for office
bearer positions is required.
12. General Business:
a) Beattie Crescent Kerb & Guttering /Stormwater Drainage:
This area is extremely steep and residents have asked for a meeting
on-site with Council to discuss exactly what works are being proposed.
b) Kyla Hall decking extension:
Jeff de Jager reported that SRV funding of $50,000 is available
for this extension and other repairs.
c) Cutting back/removal of vegetation along Tuross Blvde foreshore
which is protruding onto the cycle/walk: Maureen Baker reported
that Council had informed her of their intention. She referred
them to the area just north of the sewage pumping station opposite
the shops where littoral rainforest occurs along the stormwater
drainage line. It includes a Rusty Fig which requires periodical
pruning rather than removal because it is classified as part of
an EEC (endangered ecological community).
d) Disabled access to pavement in front of Evans Rd. shops:
Stafford Dixon pointed out that anyone disabled who needs to use
a wheelchair or motorised scooter to access the shops finds it
extremely difficult as there is only one lay-back section opposite
the Tuross surgery and at the other end near the liquor store.
However the latter is a dangerous area as it is on the corner
of the road leading to the other shopping centre.
THPA will need to write a follow-up letter to the agents handling
the Evans Rd. shops.
e) Continuation of cycle/walk along Nelson Pde from the turn-off
to the boat ramp along to the toilet block above the boatsheds:
Lei Parker suggested that THPA should consider using the remaining
cycle/walk funds in conjunction with Council to continue the cyclewalk
on Nelson Pde. Families are concerned about having to divert from
Nelson Pde down to the road bordering Lavender Bay. Children on
tricycles or cyclists find it difficult to negotiate the steep
inclines from the boat ramp area or from the Sandy Pt. end near
the boatshed car park.
THPA needs to consider asking Council for an on-site meeting in
this regard or at least warning signs being erected at both ends
above the steep inclines.
The meeting closed at 3.30pm. The next meeting will be on 1st